An editable painting estimate template will not only make it easier for you to estimate jobs fast and accurately, but it will also make your company look more professional and increase your closing rate.
Download option 1 (Editable Google Sheet): to get the free painting proposal template as a Google Sheet, enter your email below:
You’ll receive the file as a Google Sheet which you can edit or print out as a sample PDF.
Download option 2 (Editable PDF): Fill out one of the PDFs below, then print or save it.
Printable Exterior Template PDF:
Printable Interior Template PDF:
I worked as an estimator for a painting company for eight years. Here’s everything I learned about how to create your own painting estimate template.
The Header of Your Estimate
Your painting estimate’s header is where you list out the most basic details about your company, the customer, and the estimate. It’s the area where people can quickly find the basic details. You should include the following information:
- Billing Address
- Phone Number
- Job Name
- Job Address
- Estimator Email
- Estimator Phone
- Company Name
- Job ID
- Estimate Date
- Expiration Date
- Source (optional)
Here’s an example of a painting estimate header with all of the above details:
Project Overview (Optional)
This section of your painting estimate is where you show the customer that you understand their needs and will provide a custom solution to solve their specific problems.
While this section does not necessarily help you estimate faster or more accurately, it does increase your closing rate and help you stand out against other bidders on the project, which ultimately helps you get more painting jobs.
Here’s an example of a project overview for an exterior paint job:
Company or Product Overview (Optional)
This section of your painting estimate template is where you paint your company or product in the best light possible. Include some of the following points:
- Thank the prospect for contacting you
- Describe the finished product your customer will enjoy
- Describe why your company is the right choice.
Here’s a template of a company/product overview for a cabinet painting estimate:
Exterior Painting Estimates
The following is an example of an estimate using my exterior painting estimate template:
The contractor will provide labor and material (excluding water) to pressure wash all exterior surfaces of the house using a solution of water, bleach, and tri-sodium phosphate to remove mildew and mildew spores. The customer provides water. Included:
- House: $399
- Driveway: $149
- Cleaning debris from the insides of the gutters is not included but can be added for an additional $149
The contractor will provide labor and material to perform the following scope of work on the components or locations listed below:
- Scrape and/or light sand any cracking and peeling areas.
- Caulk all open cracks and joints with siliconized acrylic caulk.
- Prime any new raw wood and those areas that have been scraped and sanded.
- Apply 2 coats of (insert_product_name_here)
Interior Painting Estimates
The following is an example of an estimate using my interior painting template:
- The contractor will provide labor and material to:
- Protect personal belongings, floors, wall plates/switch covers, window coverings/treatments from paint debris by moving them or covering them with drop cloths, plastic, or paper.
- Prep areas to be painted by caulking cracks between trim and drywall and patch-repairing any small drywall damages and nail holes with drywall compound.
- Apply 2 coats of paint to the areas specified under each line item.
- Material Being Quoted (If applicable):
- Paint: Walls: _________
- Paint: Trim: _________
- Paint: Ceilings: __________
- General Notes:
- Closets, pantries, and laundry rooms, IF included, will have their own separate line item, they are NOT included as part of the room they are in.
- Crown molding, chair rail, or wainscoting, or shelves, IF included will have their own separate line item, they are NOT included as part of “Standard Trim” items.
- Interior doors are NOT included but can be painted for an additional $35.00 per door.
- All components receive 2 topcoats of paint unless a “primer” line item is included. If you are switching from dark to light colors, contact your account manager for an updated quote.
- Up to 3 wall colors are included, if you need more than 3, contact your account manager for an updated quote.
Terms & Conditions
Some basic terms & conditions can help keep everyone on the same page and avoid issues down the road. Here are some basic painting contract terms you can consider adding to your painting quote template:
(1). Have the work described above performed by the contractor.
(2). When we complete the work, we will ask you to inspect and sign off on the work.
(3). You agree to inspect and sign-off on the work within 48 hours after we submit it as complete.
(4). You agree to pay the final contract balance amount in full upon receipt of the invoice.
(5). Failure to inspect the work within 48 hours after we submit it as complete will forfeit your claim to touch up work or warranty work until the remaining balance is paid in full. Exceptions will be made only if we previously agreed to it in writing (for example: you told us you won’t return home until a few days after we finish).
Any alteration/deviation from the above scope of work involving extra costs will be done only upon written change order. Costs will become an extra charge, over and above this quote.
This is to include but is not limited to, hidden damages that are uncovered during the course of the project.
The contractor will produce a “properly painted surface” which will be defined as a surface uniform in color and sheen and that is free of foreign material, lumps, sags, misses, strike-through, uneven coverage, drips, spills, or over-spray caused by the workmanship.
Compliance with meeting the criteria of a “properly painted surface” shall be determined when viewed without magnification at a distance of three feet or more under normal lighting conditions and from a normal viewing position.
The contractor is not responsible for moving televisions, refrigerators, washers, dryers, pianos, or grandfather clocks. We can move these items for you, but if we do, you agree to hold the contractor harmless for any damage that may occur moving these items.
Low to mid-tack painter’s tape may be used to protect floors. Damage to floors from low to mid-tack painters tape is a sign of a failed/improper floor finish and is not the liability of the contractor.
Win more jobs by offering a warranty on your projects.
Now that you know how to estimate paint jobs with the above painting estimate examples, you need to learn how to accurately invoice for the jobs when you complete them. Do you need an invoicing template? Check out our free painting invoice template.